Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, to Him to be glory in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. {Ephesians 3:20}

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Joy - for Christmas and for always.

Okay, so confession: I'm totally watching a Hallmark Christmas movie on Netflix while typing this. I know there are the "no Christmas before Thanksgiving Scrooges" *ah hem, my husband* out there that are going to roll their eyes, but I don't even care. The commercialization of Christmas could start in July and I would love it - more Christmas time for me! I could live in the Christmas section of Hobby Lobby right now. 

So actually, this whole "Christmas spirit" thing actually ties into what has been on my heart lately: joy. I think that sometimes, I choose to let myself look at the negative aspects of what's going on around me. Letting myself focus on the dust that is showing on my window sill, instead of realizing that the dust shows because the sun is shining so brightly through the glass. I look out at our garden and think "ugh, so much to pull up now that it's getting colder" instead of realizing that our garden was amazing this year and all of that "stuff to pull up" means that we had so much fresh veggies this year that we were giving it away! I believe joy is something I can choose...and unfortunately, I don't think I always do a very good job at realizing that. 

Here's what has been on my heart with this lately. I think choosing joy is actually a form of worship. I had a youth pastor say once that "worship is letting God know how awesome He is and how much we need Him" (I can't remember who actually said that, so if you're one of my former youth pastors and that was you, thank you!). I believe that we can choose to focus on the "bummer" parts of life and let that rule our thoughts, attitudes, and hearts - OR we can make the choice to focus on the joy in life. The Bible says this: 
"Be joyful always;  
pray continually;  
give thanks in all circumstances, 
for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
 (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)
What really sticks out to me about that passage is the "this is God's will for you" part...He desires us to be joyful, and to be constant in prayer, and to be thankful. God doesn't want us to be miserable - He desires joy for our hearts. Why do we fight that? 

Granted sometimes, finding joy is really hard..almost impossible. And sometimes it seems wrong to look for joy in a situation, that our hearts are so broken that it seems joy will never be possible again. Sometimes to look for joy, can almost seem mean and calloused because of how painful a situation is. But, I don't think that the Lord is absent in those times. I believe He is still there, desiring joy for our hearts. King David says this: 


The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. 
 (Psalm 23) 

Life is happening and changing and moving and unpredictable...and I can't change what it throws at me. But I can choose to change my thoughts and my reactions. And I can choose to seek joy in all situations ("Be joyful always"). And I know that when joy is hard to find, my Father is not. He is always right there with me. ("Pray continually and give thanks in all circumstances"). I believe joy is a form of worship. It shows who God is ("for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus") and it shows how much I need Him. So today, I choose joy. I choose joy because it's easy to find the bad and "bummer" parts of life - anyone can do that and I don't want to just be anyone. I want to show the joy that I see to other people. I want our child to see that this time of waiting was full of joy in the anticipation of becoming a family of three. I want to live differently. Because I believe that's His will for me. And for you. And I believe that He wants to show you the joy He has for you. 

 "In Your presence, there is fullness of joy" 
(Psalm 16:11)
Merry Christmas in October, friends. :-) I love you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment