I'm enjoying a quiet morning....Mike's still asleep, coffee is brewing, and the street outside our house is unusually still. Yesterday was Thanksgiving and it's like the world is either recovering from the festivities or sleeping from being up all hours of the night shopping. (I apparently am doing neither, haha)
So, Thanksgiving. We spent the morning at home, Mike making breakfast and me watching the Detroit Thanksgiving Parade...it's really a wonder that he got anything done because I kept calling him into the room to watch "this" or "look at that!". Then we spent the rest of the day with different sides of the family, eating turkey, catching up, and goofing off. It was a pretty calm holiday.
As people do, they asked about our adoption process. I'm not going to lie, I could talk about it all day long. I love to answer questions and tell about how everything has come together and how we are excited to watch the Lord continue to form our family from a couple, to a family of three...a daddy, a mommy and our baby. I don't mind sharing things I'm nervous about right now (I say "right now" because you all know there will probably come a post later on in this process about how I've been silently worrying about something and how the Lord has calmed my nerves and once again reminded me that He's the One in control). I like to tell people "what's next" in the process...it's reminds me that it's all real and starting to happen.
I'm thankful in a way that I haven't been before...I'm thankful to be on this ride, not knowing when the next turn will happen, but knowing that it's where I'm supposed to be. I'm thankful for people who have been there - "veterans" who share their stories with me and the kindred spirits that I find in those people - talking to someone who exactly speaks the language my heart is speaking about adoption, and knows what I'm feeling is incredible. I'm thankful for people who are on the same journey, who can share the frustrations and the questions. I'm thankful for the people who ask and who are excited to watch our family grow. I'm even thankful for the people who don't understand it at all and say things like "well, maybe you'll get lucky and won't have to adopt, those kids can be real messed up" because it reaffirms to me that I LOVE adoption. I am so thrilled to be on this journey...honestly, not wanting to be doing anything else. (Side note, after hearing that last comment, my first reaction wasn't thankfulness, it was to try and not start a rant about how "vaginal kids" can be "messed up" too. Pray for grace for my words...I'm learning.)
It was a different Thanksgiving for me and I loved it. I am so excited for when Thanksgiving will include remembering the bib, or Cheerios, or chasing a little one around and keeping them from sticking their fingers in everyone's food. I'm excited for the first Thanksgiving when we can be holding our child while we pray around the table...hugging an example of God's faithfulness and goodness. I'm so thankful for that day...and I'm thankful for today. Happy Thanksgiving, friends. We love you all.
Thanksgiving Day with a new VanDrie baby ...... sounds PERFECT!
ReplyDelete