Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, to Him to be glory in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. {Ephesians 3:20}

Friday, May 31, 2013

...(soli deo gloria) from Russia to Ethiopia

Natalie has wanted me to post on this blog for a while.  For a multitude of reasons I have not.  However, now I am feeling led to share some of my perspective of this journey.



Here is a sign which hangs in our office/library/spare bedroom.  Ryanne, a friend of Natalie and I, made this a few years ago for us.  For those of you who do not know Latin, this just means "Glory to God Alone"




For those of you who do not know, I am a very practical person.  I like to ask the question "why" and truly I am surprised my parents did not kill me for asking this question.   That being said, this great theological phrase is great to talk about, however it is even more amazing to see played out in person.

I have struggled in explaining to people how positive I am God called Natalie and I to adopt from Russia, even if the country remains closed.  That being said, I do not know the reason why God called us to adopt to Russia if the doors were going to close even before we were able to adopt.  I have some guesses, they may be true or they may be totally wrong.  One thing I do know is we still pray for a child in Russia, "our child". The other thing I know is Russia was the last on the list of places we wanted to adopt from, maybe God wanted us to be okay with any place, even if it was the last place we wanted to adopt from.  The other thing I know is, God is using this adoption process all for His glory.  Sometimes even with that being said, I wonder if I heard God's voice, the enemy feeds me the line that I did not hear right the first time and for sure am not hearing correctly this time.  Yet, when I look at Scripture I see stories where God clearly tells someone to do something, they are faithful, and then God tells them to stop.  I read the story of Abraham and Isaac and I am encouraged.  God really did call Abraham to sacrifice Isaac and before Abraham actually sacrificed Isaac, God stopped Abraham and provided a ram.  I don't get why God sometime chooses to do this and I am fine with it.

All that being said, do I feel like God is calling us to adopt from Ethiopia? Yes.  Do we feel as though we will be bringing home a child this time?  Yep.  Does it still take faith? Yep.

The amazing thing for me is my faith has been developed by leaps and bounds.  I can't figure out how all of this is going to happen.  Those of you who know me, know I like to be in control, I am what you might call a control freak.  In this process I have had to learn to let go, God has been gracious to me in that.  I look at what Natalie has posted and I almost laugh at my inability to make this happen.  And you know what, that is a great thing.  When this is all said and done and we bring home the most awesome, adorable child, it will not be by my doing.  Rather, God, the One who is in control of all, will have made this happen and He alone will be glorified.

It would be a lie to say I am not nervous.  However, I am so excited to see what God is about to do.  I am ready for Him to blow the lid off of what I and those around me think about Him and I am excited to see how He brings glory to His name.  Soli Deo Gloria.

No comments:

Post a Comment