Believe it or not, I didn't write this post only about acronyms, but they unfortunately play a role in it. I have heard people talking about FOMO a lot lately - "Fear of missing out". I think I have "FOMOABLB: fear of missing out and being left behind"
I don't care what you say, no one likes to be left behind. No one likes to sit on the sidelines, watching everyone else participate in something they are waiting to do. "Put me in, Coach". I hate it when people whisper (just ask my parents). People whispering can wake me up out of a dead sleep and I can hear the sound of a whisper anywhere. I don't like not know what's going on.
Here's where this comes into play for our adoption journey. Even though we are making progress (I have my medical forms and was able to make an appointment for Mike with a new, more cooperative, doctor in the beginning of June), I still have to fight the sense that I am "missing out" on what other people are doing right now and that I am falling behind what everyone else is doing.
I felt like all of social media was a jerk this morning (not the people, but the media apps, because I'm so rational with things like that) because I think it only picked out stories to show me about couples (most of who never ever post anything on social media) adding to their families...positive pregnancy test, or adding the second, third, sixth, eleventh, thirteenth child. (See? So rational. I don't know anyone in real life with eleven kids, but it feels like that). People seemed to come out of nowhere this morning to share their joy with the world. Guys, I want to be that person. I want to show a family picture of the three of us. I want to schedule play dates with friends, or show pictures of the new little beach chair we got for the summer. I don't want to miss out...and I feel like I am. And I know some will be tempted to say "Oh, you just wait..." and inform me of some way that children complicate life...but, I want that new way of life.
Now before you all think I'm being a whiny, selfish, and jealous baby who can't share in anyone's joy and who is so naive as to what life with children will be like, let me say this: It's not the fault of anyone but me. I truly have happiness in my heart for my friends who are expanding their families. Do I wish that was me? Yep. Am I truly happy to my soul for you, absolutely. Do I have "pie in the sky dreams" about being a family of three? Probably. But, no one is trying to hurt me, and it's not fair to think that someone shouldn't share their happiness because it might make someone sad. No one got pregnant with another child because it would make me feel left out. It's not other people who are upsetting me, it's not even Facebook, or Instagram, or whatever (although I had to think for awhile on that). It's this FOMOABLB.
It would be pretty easy for me to title (even with this obnoxious acronym) what it is that is bothering me today and just use it as an excuse to stay in this hurt. To stay in this place of hurt and alone, and to let it make me a "victim". But, I'm not going to. I'm not going to let the dark and evil forces cloud the truth and beautiful actualities of life and the lives of the ones I love.
Because here's the truth: I know, without a doubt, we are where we should be. I know, without a doubt, that He loves me. I know, without a doubt, that the Lord knows who our child is. I'm so thankful for what I have...for the love that people have and are showing us. I know, without a doubt, that it would be easy for me to start complaining - because sometimes complaining is easier than the worship. But, the complaining doesn't give life. It doesn't show the joy that I have been given and that I have been instructed to share and show. Complaining and feeling sorry for myself makes me miss out on so much...and I don't want to miss out...and I don't want to be left behind.
So today, I am not going to let myself be a victim to this awful acronym and what it stands for. I'm not going to let the dark win and build up resentment and jealously. I'm going to speak against it and plead for the Lord to give me His joy. I'm going to celebrate with people! I'm going to count my blessings and realize that I have more than I deserve in life...and that His grace and mercy is so overwhelming in abundance. There is always something "more" that people can look for, but when you look for the "more", you miss the "now". And I don't want to miss that. I want to be in the "now" and look to the future with hope. Because that's where life is...that's where joy is...that's where I want to be. I can't miss anything there.
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
(Romans 15:13)
here's a great blog about FOMO: http://lisajobaker.com/2014/04/a-prayer-for-fighting-the-fear-of-missing-out/
ReplyDeleteHey Seester;
ReplyDeleteI get it. I hate seeing people I know doing the things that I have been hoping to do for years. I'm constantly envious of other people's accomplishments and it only makes me miserable.
But here's what I want you to know. I cannot wait to hold my little niece or nephew and tell them just how long we have been waiting for them and loving them from hundreds of miles away. It will be so worth it. There is a baby-shaped hole in my heart for this child, and I am so excited to snuggle them to me and feel whole again. Think of it this way: most couples only get 9 months to think about their baby-- to start loving it. We get the chance to love this child for years, and I hope they will sense that from the moment they are born.
Soon, Seester. Not soon enough, of course. But soon. I love you